Monday, April 10, 2006

Opening day memories

Many years ago when I was in 5th 6th or 7th grade I had asked my parents for opening day tickets for my "afikomen" present. My parents responded " If you can find a way there, you can go. Then they went away on a cruise.

On opening day, I went to school like any other day, brought a little radio so I could hide it and listen to the game ( i was a huuuge baseball fan as a kid. My older brother came to school and signed me out of class. I asked what was going on, and he said I had a doctors appointment and my parents asked him to take me.

As we were driving to the doctors, I noticed we were going the wrong way, when I mentioned this, my bro responded "The doctors office moved, It's now on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull" Which for you non-Detroiters is where the old Tiger Stadium is.

I don't remember who won that game, or who they played but the importance of opening day was forever etched in my mind. I look forward to the day I can introduce teh tradituion to Jonah, make up a fake doctors appointment and take him out of school for opening day.

GO TIGERS

2 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

That because you're a girl

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

hey my mum used to do that to us, with the beach! and i thought she was the only one who would take her kids outta school on random days, just like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home