Friday, March 24, 2006

South Park

Let me start off by saying I'm a big fan of South Park. I don't watch it as much as I used to because Nat absolutely hates the show. Her hatred stems from an episode that included a religious joke, more specifically a Holocaust joke.

Personally i didn't mind the joke, SP is an equal opportunity religious basher, but lately they have come under the microscope because they totally ripped Scientology, spoofing Tom Cruise, John Travolta and a few other famous scientologists.

Issac Hayes, who plays chef, a Scientology's quit the show because of this episode, basically saying, I don't care if you make fun of everyone else, so long as it isn't me. That bothers me, I'm glad they killed chef in the last episode.

Due to alleged pressure Tom Cruise Comedy Central won't rerun the Scientology episode, and this bothers me. The other night I was watching reruns and they played the episode where Kyle's stereotypical Jewish cousin moved in with hm for a week. I like this episode, there is a concentration camp joke in there, that I always thought was funny.

Why doesn't Steven Spielberg and other Hollywood Jews call in and complain impose their will and never let that episode be aired. Why stop there, there should be no religion, mocked or otherwise, on TV.

Obviously this won't happen. Shame on Comedy Central for pulling that episode. I'm glad that the the South Park creators aren't bending, they say they will touch this issue on upcoming episode.

Watch the controversial episode here no download needed

3 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger The Zwicker said...

Tom Cruise can't handle the truth!

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Hmmm... those scientologists sound a lot like some other people who didn't like when some-one made a joke about their religion.

Why don't Jews complain? Well, because unlike other people, we're used to people making fun us. We know how to take a joke.
-OC

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Karl said...

Never got into SP b4 - but watched this episode & its great!
There have been numerous laws passed here recently about religious hatred and insitment, comedy being the first thing to be hit. If we can't laugh at our own quirks, we can't laugh at anyone elses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home