Thursday, November 17, 2005

WATER WATER EVERYWHERE

I have mentioned in the past that my basement is prone to flooding. We built up dirt on the side of the house and that didn't solve the problem. On Tuesday it rained and rained and appeared that it night never stop, I even thought about building and ark. But I digress. I went into my basement and saw the puddle in its usual place. But something was different this time, I saw the splashing, water was coming in front of me for the first time. I followed the stream and discovered it was shooting out of my wall. It appeared like my wall was peeing.

I stuck my finger over the hole to see what would happen if I covered the hole. I don';t know what I expected, maybe the pressure would build and the whole wall would cave in and water would rush in like Niagara falls. That didn't happen, the wall was so weak where my finger touched that it pushed it in and another leak sprung. Since this hole was bigger the water didn't squirt as much as it just ran down the wall.

This caused a minor problem because I had put a bucket under the stream to catch it, but the bucket couldn't stand flush against the wall to capture the water. So I thought deep thoughts and here's what I did: I took aluminum foil, and taped it right under the holes, and then angled the foil towards the bucket, thus catching all the water.

Not all my idea were great, I had to mark the area where the hole was so I wouldn't forget and then be unable to fix it, so I took a sharpie and drew a circle around it. This didn't make the wife happy. She thought I should have used a pen or pencil to mark the spot. .

Finally it stopped raining at some point during the night and I was able to put cement over the hole which will hopefully prevent this debacle from happening in the future. I also made that the cement covered up the sharpie circle.

4 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

If the wall's that weak, it might be time to call a contractor or something. I don't know if a little cement will take care of it. From, what you've told us, the problem seems to be getting worse.
-OC

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was it rubber cement, or the real stuff?
rubber cement could be fun.
probably not for this though

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Just Shu said...

some mixture, you add water to the sandy stuff, and it hardens

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

no, I obviosuly don't agree with you two or I wouldn't have put teh cement. it's cement not a tissue paper, its stuck there, thats why it was created. Special cement to stop little leaks in the basement

 

Post a Comment

<< Home