Tuesday, May 31, 2005

tipping

I got a haircut at a barber for the first time in a long time. Usually my cousin Milaine does my hair. First I was shocked at the outrageous price (15 bucks) Nevertherless I paid and went back to my office. When I got back I was informed that I am supposed to tip, and I sould go right back and give the girl a few bucks.
I don't understand tips, if she went out of her way and di something extra then i could see a reason to tip, but why am i paying extra because someone did the job..It's what they are paid to do!! this has always botrhered me, and I have yet to find a good explanation.
Due to the poressure put on me by the others at my office, I returned to the shop and gave the girl 3 bucks, she seemed surprised that I would come all the way back just to give her a tip.
I still think it's stupid.

4 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Blogger rockofgalilee said...

did you get her phone number or ask her out to coffee?

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger rockofgalilee said...

sorry nat. my bad.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, tipping is a big deal. I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the fact that tipping doesn't really exist in Israel. Well, with the exception of when Americans tip people. They have the same philosophy you do. I really have no idea when the tipping thing exploded.
-OC

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Veev said...

I don't think you have to tip the people who own the place, yet each time my boys go to Jeff I'm compelled to add 4 dollars to the price of a haircut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home