Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Shushers

There are few things that annoy me more than people in who talk in shul, then but "shush" others who talk. There is someone in my shul who fits this category and I often want to ask him why it's O.K. for him to talk, and he's older so he talks louder, but I'm not allowed to.

This brings me to a few weeks ago, I was out of town for the second days of Pesach. The Rabbi was giving his speech before Mussaf, he started out by asking why people talk during davening. He came up with three possibilities. The first one he said couldn't be - arrogance - a person is so arrogant that he feels that whatever he has to say is more important than everyone else' prayers. He felt that couldn't be. I forget the second reason. The third reason is laziness, a person is just to lazy to go into the hall and talk.

After Mussaf the Rabbi was walking through the aisle, and he announced it was time for kaddish , right as Kaddish started the rabbi started talking to one of the people in shul. I really wanted to go over to him and ask which it was arrogance or laziness.

3 Comments:

At 5:05 AM, Blogger concernedjewgirl said...

a classic case of do as I say not as I do.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Veev said...

You are your brother's brother. :)

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

four reasons.

one is ignorance, even temporary like the rabbi who 'forgot' that kadish is almost like the level kedusha and you should not talk, just listen.

the other reason I think I read from Rabbi Shwab is that these people simply do not like davening. It is probably not a conscious attitude, but if people really understood what/why they were davening, they would not talk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home