Friday, July 21, 2006

What is fun

Who determines what is fun? Isn't it up to the individual person? I ask because I have come under attack by both the wife and the neighbors who have decided that I am a grumpy old man, because I didn't think what they wanted to do was fun.

This started a few weeks ago when Nat (thanks to the O's fan family) fund out about a hot air festival about 40 minutes from our house. I went, by was told that I was a downer on the whole trip. You may wonder what happens at a hot air festival - well we got there after the Hot Air Balloons had already left, and the skydivers already fell (I didn't think it would be that much fun to watch other people fall out of planes) We saw the end of dog races, which Jonah (the 2 almost 2 yr old) loved and still talks about to this day, and that was all. We walked around, saw some rides we didn't go on, and lots of food we couldn't eat. I couldn't find one entertaining moment in this trip.

Today the family went blueberry picking, which in my mind is a waste of time. There was a time when it was important to go berry picking, of course these were the days before we had stores. Now you can go to the local store and pick up a whole bunch of blueberries - but instead the fun people would rather go pay someone for the right to pick their berries for them. This trip I didn't go in because I had work to do.

2 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger The Zwicker said...

Not to sound all touchy feely, but you actually answered your own question. Jonah had fun and still has good memories. I personally wouldn't want to go blueberry picking now as an adult (I use that term loosely), but I remember the satisfaction after doing so as a kid when my mother made pancakes or whatever with what I brought home.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger DonutsMom said...

You weren't invited on this trip so HA.
Also, you are not paying people to pick their blueberries for them. You are paying for only the blueberries that you pick (no entrance fee or anything). And it is cheaper than buying the blueberries in the store because you aren't paying for the labor that goes into picking them! AND they are WAY better than store blueberries. Fresh picked and you only pick the good ones. I am not even a fan of blueberries but even I got into eating them while picking.
I am, however, a fan of rasberries and those are way harder to pick but SOOOO tasty!
There is also a play area and animal farm for the kids.
So everyone had a good time.
Hope you had fun at work. LOVE YOU!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home