Monday, June 05, 2006

Problem with Milchiegs on Shavous

Since Yom Tov started so late here in Detroit, Jonah couldn't wait until after shul to eat, so I made some hot dogs for him. I thought to myself, self, dinner isn't for a long time, I should make myself a hot dog also- so I did.

Many hours later we are abut to sit down to dinner at the neighbors and it hit me, these people love dairy, and aren't big fans of meat. My fears came true when pretty much everything on the menu had cheese in it. My family tradition is to wait 5 hours and a minute between eating meat and milk, so it now became a question of what time did I ate hot dogs.

The question became did I watch the Simpsons while eating, or that 70's show still on. Through a lot of recollecting, I realized that it had to be the70's show, because I took Jonah outside to play in the middle of the Simpsons episode, one I don't recall seeing before, and since it takes Jonah a while to eat - we must have eaten prior to teh Simpson's, which meant that I only had to wait about 15 minutes to partake in the lasagna and other cheesey foods.

During shul on shabbos, I went to Kiddush club, had some salami and beer sticks, jus a quick bite to get me through a really long davening. Only to discover that the kiddush, which was in honor of my meat obsessed brother, and his family impending move to Israel was almost all dairy, cheesecakes and ice cream. Sadly this time I couldn't just wait a few minutes. even though it felt like shul took 5 hours, I wasn't close to being able to eat ice cream.

3 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Menachem said...

you should do what i did. when i went in the army, i started keeping 3 hours, and eating kitniyot. it was a great move.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger The Zwicker said...

With a dairy loving brother like Air, you should have known better about the kiddush menu.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger 2R said...

did Air protest the dairy kiddish with you, or (gasp) partake?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home