Sunday, June 11, 2006

deadly nightshade


Yesterday we were in the backyard, and my mother in law, who works in a nature reserve type place, and knows her way around the great outdoors, noticed some weeds that we have growing all around our fence. She told my wife that these were called Deadly Nightshade, and are very poisonous. If someone were to eat the berries, which Jonah was playing with at the time, they would first get all loopy, and then die. I believe it's three berries are lethal. In addition to this the plant also acts like Poison Ivy and can make you itchy all over.

This morning, being that football was cancelled, Nat and I, with gloves on our hand, started yanking this stuff out of the ground. I have wanted to get rid of it anyways because it's an ugly weed, but I just never got around to it.

Now, no disrespect to my mother in law, but I have a hard time believing that the stuff we pulled out of the ground was Deadly Nightshade(Despite the fact that mu fingers are a bit itchy). I think if there are highly poisonous berries growing in our yard, there would be a few dead children. The past few families that lived here had kids, our neighbors have kids, I can't imagine that now one of those kids, tried to eat these berries. But that's just my opinion - Either way, I'm glad that we pulled them out of the ground.

9 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

How do you know the previous families didn't pull them out when they grew?

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger O's fan said...

Wanna come pull weeds out of our yard now?

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

We had some poisonous berries growing in our backyard when we lived in detriot too.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Just Shu said...

OC- I don't know if they pulled then out, all I know is that they have been there since we moved in. SO if they pulled them they didnt do a good job.

O's fan. I would love to pull your weeds, but I'm afraid there may be some dog poo in the weeds.

Rolling - did your kids sample the magic berries?

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I smell conspiracy....
-OC

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger IngeIsMyTiger said...

Forget how do you know if they pulled them, how do you know none of their kids died?

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Just Shu said...

I know the past few owners of this house, and they left with all their kids.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger BStrong said...

Test them out. Drop a couple in your mother-in-laws salad next time. I agree with you, if they were that poisonous you would have heard about some fatalities over the years.

You can always google "Deadly Nightshade"

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you tocuh your finger wet with plant fluid and rub your eye, see if the pupil dilate or not, if it is deadly nghtshade, they most certainly will. But you better google it up, lots of pcitures you can compare with, instead of having a dilated pupil for a couple of days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home