Friday, July 28, 2006

Maggots

Friday is garbage day in town, so last night I went to take the garbage out to the street. I was surprised to see little white moving things all over the trash cans. I flicked on the lights and I saw millions, OK hundreds maybe thousands, of maggots. It was really nasty I had to put on gloves just to take out the trash.

For some reason one of the few things I remember from High School science has to do with maggots. Apparently back in the day it was believed that maggots were born from garbage, I guess they thought they spontaneously combusted from the trash. Many people didn't think this was possible, logical thought, but public opinion was that this was true. So some scientist, his name I don't remember, did an experiment - he took garbage, a sideways "S" shaped tube over the can, the plan was the maggots would get stuck in the "S" thus proving that they didn't come from the garbage. This happened and thanks to that we know that garbage doesn't produce maggots.

Now I have to clean out teh garbage and kill all the poor maggots.

6 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger O's fan said...

We've got them in all three garbage cans now. Gotta wash them out into the street. The dog can get pretty sick from ingesting them. Pretty gross.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Sadiq said...

hi
calling ur attention

http://mysticsaint.blogspot.com/2006/07/stop-killing-children-in-lebanon.html

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Veev said...

Shu, nothing is grosser than maggots.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Ummmm... it's not spotaneous combustion, though. That's when some-one suddenly gets lit on fire. I think it's spontaneous conception, like with the "Virgin" Mary.
-OC

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

I don't know if they used two sets of meat or not, but the experiemnt that I referenced proved that maggost didn't come from teh meat because hey got stuck in the tube. If they came from the meat they wouldn't get stuck in the tube.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Yishai said...

I had them too!! uch. Will you please tell your maggots to stay on your side of the property line and out of my garbage?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home