Tuesday, February 21, 2006

save the zoo

I'm really clear about this story, but from what I'm hearing the Detroit City Council, who owns and operates the are voting to shut it down. Does this mean that all the poor animals will be running through the streets?

The state of Michigan had pledged 4 million bucks in aid on the condition that Detroit City Council turns control over to the Detroit Zoological Society. The council didn't like that clause and so they voted no. I've heard some comments on the radio that this is a racial thing, the Zoo is in Royal Oak not Detroit, and that's why they don't want to turn it over. Councilwoman Barbra Rose Collins said "The symbolism is that Detroit is a black city and that we’re unable to govern ourselves. So we need an overseer, the state legislature, or what have you, to step in and tell us what we must do and how to do it."

"That is a racist attitude. I resent it very much. I’m trying not to let it color my judgments, but we’re not a plantation, blacks aren’t owned by white folks anymore," said Collins.

As of now the Zoo will be closed sometime in May, and they will start shipping the animals to other zoos (Which answers my question about the animals roaming the street)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the zoo, but Nat and Jonah love it. We are members and it is nice place for Jonah to go and hang out for a while. There is a zoo in Toledo, Ohio which is like an hour from my house, not nearly as convenient as the 2 mile drive to the zoo now.

There is a petition circling the web, but i can't seem to find it, if/when I do, I will post it.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger The Zwicker said...

I would bet that if there is no resolution, the zoo will undergo private management and actually turn a profit.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

thanks, i feel much better

 

Post a Comment

<< Home