Saturday, October 11, 2008

The basketball game that turned to a soccer game

I finally played basketball tonight, two-on-two, everything they say about Israeli basketbakll is true. It was nearly impossible to get to the basket because of the grabbing and pushing. It was great to at least play. We played for half hour or so and then things got strange. The court we play is also used as a soccer court, it has nets built in under the hoops.

A bunch of other people showed up and wanted to play soccer, the other three guys, 2 israelis and an American, asked if I wanted to play soccer. I didn't want to be the reason we didn't play so I said sure.

There were 14 people and we played 5 on 5 - first to score two goals wins. My first game I kicked the ball one time, and it slammed off the other guys leg. He winced in pain, and my team congradulated me on the shot and told me that if I keep that up we will have a shot at winning :)

Sadly, that was my shot of teh game, we lost 2-0.

While waiting for my next game I was asked, by the American, if I ever played soccer. The last time I played I think was in 4th or 5th grade. I told our gym teacher that we shouldn't play soccer because it was Eurapean game and we should play American games. That was the last time I played.

Anyway, game two, we lost 2-0 in about 10 seconds.

I learned some important words, like defense and offense and what not.

Game 3, I played in goal. I didn't want to, but I was voted in.
The last time I played goal of any sort was in a roller hockey tournaemnt, I forget how old I was, but I assume I was 13 or 14, anyway I played goal because I hurt my knee and couldn't skate. I had all the equipment, except a cup. And wouldn't you know I took a wrister right in the groin. Since then I've kinda tried to avoid contact with the puck and now a soccer ball. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled to play goal, but I did anyway.

I gave a up a goal pretty quickly, I was out of position and gave up a rebound for a quick goal.
I was pretty solid for teh next few minutes, came out on a guy on a breakaway and stopped him, blocked a few shots. Then came the killer, I weak roller from a bad angle, I felt like Bill Buckner, I went down and cmae up without the ball. It went right between my legs. We lost 2-1

I played one last uneventful game and that was all she wrote,

I have to say I am amazed by the other players, how they can keep the ball on the foot and move is amazing, never seen anything like it. Of course, I don't claim to have ever seen anyone play soccer before, so it's all new me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home