Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hallel and Take me out to the Ballgame

I was asked to lead the services for Shachris (Morning service) on the 2nd day, and I accepted. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever lead of a Shabbat, and certainly the first time on a holiday. This was the morning after the Tigers beat the Yankees, so I decided that I was going to sing Kedusha or Hallel to the tune of "Take me out to the ballgame"

Those of you who know me, this isn't a big shocker, but singing isn't anywhere near my top 10 things I do well. It's probably near the bottom of my top 200.

So I get up to Kedusha, and make a game time decision to wait until Hallel to break out the tune. Finally it's time, I start to sing, fully assuming that once people heard me start singing, and recognized the tune, they were chime in, and help me out. But this didn't happen, I heard crickets, and then laughter. (I don't think the laughter was at my singing, but my song choice) All the sudden my heart stopped, knees buckled, as I realized I wasn't getting any help from the congregation, so I manned up and finished the song strongly.

6 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger O's fan said...

Sounds like when AT tried the Lions song a couple of years ago.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

American League teams- feh.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Right on, brother!
-OC

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Just Shu said...

Jack - Whats your issue with the AL, other than they are a much superior league then the NL? Sorry bout your Dodgers

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Yishai said...

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever lead of a Shabbat, and certainly the first time on a holiday.

...and maybe the last?

Way to stick with it, tough guy. I would have helped you out, but I was...I was at the...uhh, early minyan.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

Surpisingly they haven't asked me to daven for the second days

 

Post a Comment

<< Home