Thursday, July 05, 2007

Weird Al

Nat and I went downtown to see a "Weird Al" Yankovic concert. I used to to be fan back in the day, even had the Amish Paradise CD, I didn't realize he was still out there. The concert took place in the spacious parking lot of the Fischer Theater, a few thousand people, of all ages were on hand. The concert was pretty cool, I was so excited I thought I could feel my heart pounding through my chest, then I realized that was the base - I could literally feel it pounding through my body.

Weird Al sang songs that spanned his whole career, from Eat It to White and Nerdy. There was a kid probably 8 years old standing behind me who knew every word to just about every song.

Some thoughts I had

- When I heard a song from back in the day, this is probably how my parents felt when they went to the Temptations a few weeks ago, hearing songs from back in the day.

- I realized I am much taller than Nat, I was able to see Weird Al over the people in front of me, while Nat couldn't. Obviously I know I'm taller, I just didn't realize it's by a whole head.

- As probably the only Jews at the concert, with the exception of Weird Al, I was lovin' the Pretty Fly for a Rabbi song, I've never been prouder to wear a Yarmulke.

- He did these mock interviews with celebrities, where he mocked them, using clips of interviews they did and asking question based on the answers. He had one with Eminem and he ripped him for a few minutes. I was a little surprised he was ripping Eminem in his hometown, I half expected him to get booed during that video clip.

-I felt like an old man but why did everyone feel the need to stand, you can enjoy it just as much sitting in a chair.

- At some point during the concert I realized the three weeks started, and I was surprised no one reminded us that we shouldn't hear live music (or is that just sefirah?)

All in all we had a great time. Maybe I'll even go buy, or download, some new Weird Al music.

2 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Blogger The Zwicker said...

The lack of booing at the Eminem thing isn't so surprising. I don't think the two artists share much of a common fan base.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Veev said...

No live music in the Bein Hameitzarim, which is how you say three weeks in Israel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home