Sunday, March 29, 2009

Update on my life

It's been a little over 6 months since we made Aliyah and so far so good. The kids have acclimated themselves to their new home, Jonah is basically fluent in Hebrew. He speaks better then Nat or myself. Watching his transformation has been amazing. When we got here, he had a basic understanding of the language, but didn't speak hebrew. Now he is comfortable talking and playing in Hebrew, he told me that he likes both languages the same. I was shocked one day when he came home and told us that he learned what causes rain. He explained it to me in English, but had learnt it in Hebrew, not only is he understanding, he can translate it as well.

Sammy is doing well, I think he's had teh toughest time of us all. He was finally understanding English when everything changed. He now enjoys going to Gan, he has some friends. at least he constantly yells "Maya" and "E-Tie", two kids from the gan, but we have no idea who they are.

Kayla, our little Israeli, is getting bigger every day, she loves to sleep which is nice. We just hpe that she will know how to speak English one day.

Things have been interesting for me, I haven't been succesful at finding a job. I went on a few interviews, recieved two letters saying, thanks but no thanks. No one second interview. For the past few months I have been planning on starting my own marketing company, and it should finally happen after Pesach. In the meantime I have kept busy with XBOX, movies and trying to learn Hebrew.

Nat and I were in Ulpan but the class ended early due to lack of showing up by many of the people in the class. We just started a "conversation club" in Ariel so far there are 3 of us and a teacher who facillitates the conversations. There has been two classes so far and it is very enjoyable. I'm also reading the newspaper in Hebrew trying to get a good grasp on things here.

Nat is amazing, she navigated through the medical system, she is in charge of calling doctors and setting up appointments (I'm in charge of ordering pizza) and getting our lives organized, mostly while pregnant. She is working a lot, someone has too, doing the medical billing for my father practice in the states.

All in all I have no complaints, I wish I had a job, (can't believe I said that) but thankfully we have survived this far with me bumming around the house. We have become the poster family for Ariel Aliyah, they have done a series of interviews with us startingw ith our pilot trip. One of teh questions they asked me is what do I think is more difficult, our first 6 months in Israel or the upcoming 6 months. The first 6 months have been relativly easy, I'm guessing the upcoming months will be tougher, as I learn how to run a company here, need to actually speak hebrew to strangers not just friends.

It hasn't all been roses, I miss my life in Detroit, I don't like living in an apartment and can't wait till we can move into a house and buy a car. I feel like I don't talk to my friends as much as I would like and I've played one game of basketball since moving here.

I'll try and keep this updated, I know I've been a slacker lately

2 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger Pesky Settler said...

Make sure your house is an "English speaking only" zone... the kids will spend the better part of their days speaking Hebrew now, so it's important they keep the English.

A year after we made Aliyah, Tzippy would talk in her sleep... in both English and Hebrew.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

I've caught Jonah talking a little Hebrew in his sleep.
In the house it's almost all Hebrew, every now and then Jonah will talk to us in Hebrew, or when he's playing with his toys. But 99% of the time it's English

Jonah knows that he speaks and understands better then both me and Nat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home